Wednesday 5 June 2013

Never Again!

When I was a little girl there was always this mad woman I saw constantly around where we lived. She was called “Iya Dangbe”. Word around then was that she had not always been mad right from time. People said she was a very rich business woman who sold clothes, jewellery and other items. They said she sold items to some of her customers on credit and her problems started when someone who owed her a lot of money refused to pay and instead made her mad.

Fast forward to 200 level, when I was still in school; this was about 3 years ago. I lent a guy 30,000 naira. I did not know him personally but someone “over – vouched” for him (If there’s anything like that). She did not even have to talk too much because before then, I knew him as a leader. He had different core leadership roles and responsibilities. Someone you would consider as totally responsible from the different roles he played. Alas there was something called role playing.

It wasn’t a case of I had too much money as that was almost all I had and 30k was a  very big deal to me ooo. But his explanation was that he needed the money urgently for blah, blah and blah (one touching story like that) and that he would pay back in the next 1 week. If only I had known that 1 week was 3 years and counting *crying*…lol

Like you would have guessed already, this post is about unrepentant debtors, people who borrow money from you with no intention of paying back. People that ask you to quickly borrow them 100 naira to buy boli and suddenly develop amnesia the next day. People whose phone work perfectly when they want some money from you and suddenly develop network problem when it is payback time. People who borrow money but wait until you ask before paying back.

One question I have still been unable to crack till date is why people suddenly become irresponsible when you lend them money. Like lending them money is the gate pass to the irresponsibility circus. Puppy faced individuals at the point of lending money suddenly become monsters and sworn enemies. Some even go to the extent of amassing pity for themselves and soiling your reputation or even harming you like in Iya Dangbe’s case.

I was speaking with someone about my experience and all I got was – “Sorry baby! Unrepentant debtors have been trending before 1960”. Choi!!! So how can we curb this trend? How can we ensure that people pay back? The simple solution I had to learn the hard way is this. Never lend out money. If absolutely necessary, only give out what won’t give you sleepless nights, if it doesn’t come back to you.

After months of trying to get my money from him I had to free o jere! I was tired of all the unanswered phone calls and flimsy excuses - “am at the bank right now but the door is closed because its 1 min past 4, I have not been paid, my neighbour’s dog just bit me”, etc.

However the lesson I learned, I learned for life. Never again will I meddle into the lending business.

So do you think people pay promptly when they lend money or has your experience been hell? Have you discovered any proven technique of collecting your money back from die hard unrepentant debtors? Please share J

11 comments:

  1. Loool this has happened to me several times. I keep pushing till d person pays back. Now I've jst learnt to borrow money to those I knw wud pay bck, especially if its a large sum ov money. One still needs to borrow money to pple when dey need it cos we don't knw when we wud need to borrow money from someone someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing dear. It's true but determining if the person would pay back is the hard part.

      Delete
  2. I agree with this post 101%. This stuff happens everywhere, even in the Church of God. About three years ago, a Christian brother, leader of a Christian youth group, lent about 30k from me and promised to return it. Till today, this Christian bro has refused to pay back my money, despite several attempts I made to get it back. The world is evil, trust no one, spare yourself the stress and lend money to no one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ooo...The not paying back thing is like an epidemic as most people said they have experienced the same thing. Christian or not, one has to be extremely cautious when it comes to money. Thanks for commenting sis!

      Delete
  3. I am a victim of this epidemic called unrepentant debtor, I just pray that God will deliver us from them. My view is we can not stop doing good and what we need do, is to ensure the amount lend to people is not amount that will give us sleepless night if not pay back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea true...Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well..deciding not to ever lend again might be too harsh..some pple (reluctantly) borrow when situation is so critical. When such pple meet u at that point in time (where their need for the money is critical) how do you feel? I think the best thing to do lend the little you u can afford and expect no return..Chaos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea very true, dats y I said, only give out what won’t give you sleepless nights. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  6. I think people need to believe that not returning what you borrowed is and indication that you need no favour again from that person. I lent a very close xtian bro 50K which he promised to pay back the next sunday when he cleared a check. After almost six months when i was very broke and i asked him, u cant believe he dint bother because he knows i dont need it yet and he is sure i'l ask when i need it. The best thing is borrow no one what you cant afford to give. Shikena!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can just imagine that! I totally agree with you on the irresponsible act being an indication of no favor from that person in the nearest future. Who knows when next you might need that person's help.
    Thanks for commenting dear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed this insightful piece, especially the humor it was wrapped with. I have a pool of experiences, but one that I would like to share is unique.

    In 2010, I was approached by some elderly man who was my close friend's dad. I was with the bank and the bait was that he was going to establish a banking relationship with my bank through me.

    He asked for a loan of N10,000.00, that was from my first ever payment as a corper.

    The deal was that he would pay back within a week, and as a sharp guy, I got him to give me a cheque I could present if he didn't pay cash (My supposed collateral)

    I had a lot of respect for him, and honestly I would have let it slip away if I could, but I needed the money badly. We were on it for months, stories upon stories. Out of frustration I once threatened to tell his daughter, he didn't budge. I was frustrated and exasperated.

    By December this year it would be the fifth anniversary of my gone N10,000.

    I got tired after a while because it seemed the airtime I was spending to ask for the money would soon exceed the N10,000.00. So I have been badly burnt.

    But this is the flip side, I have actually learnt money out to trusted friends and I had no hassle at all getting my cash back. In many instances they were the one asking for my bank details to make transfer.

    In doing good, we cannot afford to throw away the baby and the bath water. While it's a safe plan to say you would only give an amount you can let go, sometimes, trust and circumstances would stretch you to give beyond your level of comfort.

    It goes without saying that I have also had different times had to borrow from my friends, and I do everything possible to pay promptly. If there's a delay I let them know and I compensate as much as I can.

    Attitude is key, and you cannot be too safe in giving. Frankly you would get your hands burnt sometimes, but it's good to give, especially if we also realise that at some points we might be in genuine need.

    Thanks Damilola for the opportunity to share my opinion on this.

    Similoluwa

    ReplyDelete